Monday, May 16, 2011

Ibanez GSR200BK and Orange CR25BX

Remember way back last year during my birthday post Happy 21st Birthday where I posted up 2 pictures and said what's possible to come? No? Never mind. Here they are, after a huge delay; my bass guitar Ibanez GSR200BK and the bass amp Orange Crush PiX 25BX.

Click picture to enlarge.
Well, I did a lot of 'research' before buying them. For the guitar, there isn't much to choose based on my budget to get an entry level unit. It is either the Squier Affinity P/J Bass or this. Yes, you might think that Squier might be a better choice as it is under the umbrella of Fender. But truth to be told, I don't fancy Fenders due to it's hippy high treble sound and also, Squier craftsmanship varies on unit; you might get a bad guitar though it looks the same. On the other hand, Ibanez is a Japanese company. The relation to that is, they have solid quality of which each unit will be very much the same. Funny right? That's how I chose Ibanez.

Click picture to enlarge.

Click pictures to enlarge.

The GSR200 is an active bass that requires battery (9V) to operate. There are 4 PHAT-II equalizer knobs which consist of (from top to bottom): Phat EQ Boost, front pickup volume, Tone and rear pickup volume. I still don't have any idea to properly tune them. If you had pressed the link above, you would know that the body is made of agathis while the fretboard is made of rosewood. It is also very light, if compare to an Epiphone Les Paul. The fretboard is slightly thinner than common, making it a bit easier to hover around. I actually tried holding the bass guitars available at Bentley Music Mutiara Damansara showroom and felt that this is the guitar I wanted.

Click picture to enlarge.

As for the amp, I am rather clueless at the beginning. Luckily, my friend, Mak guided me and gave me insights on what amp would be good. Ditched many brands and came to a final conclusion between Vox Pathfinder 10 Bass and this. Both having great heritage, but I chose the Orange because of it's English lineage. English amp are very reliable, not to say American's not, but I prefer the vintage sound English amp produces. This also explains why I prefer Les Paul over Stratocaster. It's the sound they produce.

Click picture to enlarge.

The Orange Crush 25BX is a 25 watt bass amp with 8" speaker. Body constructed from solid wood, wrapped in orange leatherette contribute to a mass of 9kg. I never turn the volume knob over 2 because it is seriously loud. There are relatively many settings to tinker with considering the price.

Click pictures to enlarge.


I bought both from a dealer which operates online and off, namely Dead Eye Guitars. He offers price considerably lower than shops and also advice on what to choose. Check his blog out if you're planning to buy guitar! Now, I'm pretty happy with my bass guitar and amp, considering the fat bass sound they produce. Now all I hope is to get better playing bass. And thanks a lot for reading this, really appreciate it. Ciao!

No comments: